Asked By – steveJ
I was trying
googletrans and it was working quite well. Since this morning I started getting below error. I went through multiple posts from stackoverflow and other sites and found probably my ip is banned to use the service for sometime. I tried using multiple service provider internet that has different ip and stil facing the same issue ? I also tried to use
googletrans on different laptops , still same issue ..Is
googletrans package broken or something google did at their end ?
>>> from googletrans import Translator >>> translator = Translator() >>> translator.translate('안녕하세요.') Traceback (most recent call last): File "<pyshell#2>", line 1, in <module> translator.translate('안녕하세요.') File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.6/lib/python3.6/site-packages/googletrans/client.py", line 172, in translate data = self._translate(text, dest, src) File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.6/lib/python3.6/site-packages/googletrans/client.py", line 75, in _translate token = self.token_acquirer.do(text) File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.6/lib/python3.6/site-packages/googletrans/gtoken.py", line 180, in do self._update() File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.6/lib/python3.6/site-packages/googletrans/gtoken.py", line 59, in _update code = unicode(self.RE_TKK.search(r.text).group(1)).replace('var ', '') AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'group'
Now we will see solution for issue: googletrans stopped working with error ‘NoneType’ object has no attribute ‘group’
Update 01/12/2020: This issue re-emerged lately, (apparently) caused once again by some changes on the Google translation API.
A solution is being discussed (again) in this Github issue. Although there is not a definitive solution yet a Pull Request seem to be solving the problem: https://github.com/ssut/py-googletrans/pull/237.
While we wait for it to be approved it can be installed like this:
$ pip uninstall googletrans $ git clone https://github.com/alainrouillon/py-googletrans.git $ cd ./py-googletrans $ git checkout origin/feature/enhance-use-of-direct-api $ python setup.py install
Apparently it’s a recent and widespread problem on Google’s side.
Quoting various Github discussions, it happens when Google sends you directly the raw token.
It’s being discussed right now and there is already a pull request to fix it, so it should be resolved in the next few days.
For reference, see:
https://github.com/ssut/py-googletrans/issues/48 <– exact same problem reported on the Github repo
https://github.com/pndurette/gTTS/issues/60 <– seemingly same problem on a text-to-speech library
https://github.com/ssut/py-googletrans/pull/78 <– pull request to fix the issue
To apply this patch (without waiting for the pull request to be accepted) simply install the library from the forked repo https://github.com/BoseCorp/py-googletrans.git (uninstall the official library first):
$ pip uninstall googletrans $ git clone https://github.com/BoseCorp/py-googletrans.git $ cd ./py-googletrans $ python setup.py install
You can clone it anywhere on your system and install it globally or while inside a